10 tips on proper nutrition for period 2013–2020 (Vietnamese: 10 Lời khuyên dinh dưỡng hợp lý đến năm 2020).
Vietnam published food-based dietary guidelines in 1995. Revised versions have been published in 2001, 2006 and 2013. The current version will be revised in 2020–21.
Process and stakeholders
The National Institute of Nutrition spearheaded the development of the dietary guidelines. The Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Agriculture participated in the process.
The guidelines are endorsed by the Ministry of Health.
The guidelines are directed at the general population.
Vietnamese food pyramid.
Vietnam uses a three-dimensional food pyramid to represent the messages of its guidelines. The pyramid is divided into seven layers according to recommended levels of consumption. Cereals and tubers are at the bottom, followed by vegetables, fruits, protein-rich foods, fats and oils. Sugar and salt are at the apex of the pyramid.
- Eat a range of meals that include all four food groups: carbohydrates, protein, fats, and vitamins and minerals.
- Eat protein-rich foods from a good balance of vegetable and animal sources. Increase the intake of shrimp, crab, fish and beans/peas.
- Eat appropriate amounts of vegetable and animal fats/oils with a good combination between them. Sesame and peanut oils are recommended.
- Do not use too much salt. Iodized salt is recommended.
- Eat vegetables and fruits every day.
- Ensure food safety rules during selection, processing and preservation of foods.
- Drink adequate boiled water every day.
- Initiate breastfeeding right after birth, exclusively breastfeed during the first 6 months, then start proper complementary feeding and continue breastfeeding until 24 months.
- Children over 6 months of age and adults are recommended to consume milk and dairy products appropriate to their age.
- Increase physical activity, maintain an appropriate weight, abstain from smoking and limit your consumption of alcoholic/soft drinks and sweets.
10 tips for healthy nutrition (in Vietnamese)
The Vietnamese food pyramid (in Vietnamese)