Date: November 11th, 2014
Place: Hilton Hanoi Opera Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient, well known for its role in skeletal health. While Southeast Asian nations are situated near the equator, recent studies in this region have shown that deficiency of this vitamin is highly prevalent across all age groups, particularly in children. At the same time, the growing body of research examining the broader role of vitamin D in health beyond skeletal health has been gaining interest among the health and nutrition community.
Currently, there is scientific debate about the optimal requirement level for vitamin D, with some nations revising recommended intake. More research in this area, including on appropriate cut-offs for assessment of vitamin D status, is clearly required. More importantly, awareness of vitamin D deficiency, its health implications and corrective actions need to be raised and addressed in the Southeast Asian region.
This important one-day seminar will:
- Provide an update on the multiple potential health benefits of vitamin D
- Update on status of vitamin D among populations in SE Asia and optimal levels
- Provide an overview of current understanding of the physiological role of vitamin D in human nutrition across the life cycle
- Examine the role and importance of sources of vitamin D sunlight vs food vs supplementation
- Update on issues related to assessment of vitamin D status
- Research Update: Vitamin D and Human Health – Bones and Beyond
- Vitamin D Status in Vietnam
- Vitamin D Status and Developing Recommendations for the SEA Region
Session 1: Vitamin D Through The Life Cycle
- Influence of Maternal Vitamin D on Birth Outcomes/Offspring
- Vitamin D and Child Growth/Health
- Importance of Vitamin D in Healthy Ageing
Session 2: Vitamin D – Intakes, Sources And Measurement
- Sunlight – Benefits vs Risks/Barriers to Exposure and How Much Do We Need?
- Food Sources of Vitamin D/Fortification/Supplementation in SE Asia
- Methodologies and Cut-offs for Measuring/Evaluating Vitamin D Status
Who Should Attend
Nutritionists and dietitians, researchers, academia, government and regulatory officails, food and supplement industry personnel, and others seeking current information on vitamin D and health.
For inquiries, registration and payment details please contact:
For local participants:
Viện Dinh dưỡng Quốc gia
48B – Tăng Bạt Hổ - Quận Hai Bà Trưng – Hà Nội
Điện thoại: 84-4-3971512
For overseas participaint:
ILSI Southeast Asia Region
9 Mohamed Sultan Road #02-01
Tel:+65 6352 5220+65 6352 5220
ILSI SEA Region Seminar on Vitamin D In Nutrition And Health.pdf